In upcoming FIFA World Cup 2014, Brazil the official match ball is already named and it is “Brazuca”. This task is taken by the famous sport brand adidas. It took two and half years in making the Brazuca. Adidas has been the supplier for FIFA World Cup official match ball since 1970. Brazuca is the first FIFA World Cup official match ball named by the fans.
Naming the official match ball:
On 2 September 2012 the name “Brazuca” was revealed as the FIFA World Cup 2014 official ball. A public voting was arranged by the local organizing committee and Adidas. In this voting over one million Brazilian football fans were voting. With 77.8% of the vote the name “Brazuca” was chosen for the FIFA World Cup 2014 official ball. Others included Bossa Nova (14.6%) and Carnavalesca ( 7.6%).
“Brazuca” is a contraction of Brazilian and Bazuca, Portuguese for “bazooka”. The term is used by the Brazilians to describe national pride in the Brazilian way of life and reflecting their approach to football, it reflects emotion, pride and goodwill to all. Interestingly the term Brazuca is also used as slung for “Brazilian” and became well known abroad because the Brazilian diaspora, and can be a misappropriate name used to mean “third class” citizen from Brazil. This term also refer to the Brazilian immigrants in this way in some countries like Portugal, Spain and several countries in South America.
Technical aspects of FIFA World Cup 2014 official ball:
After being the developmental successor to the Adidas Tango 12 series of balls, with the same bladder and carcass the Brazuca has remarkable technical aspects as claimed by Adidas.
• The ball has six polyurethane panels bonded together for keeping the ball the same weight and roundness in even the thickest of rain.
• The kind of panels used in FIFA World Cup 2014 official ball has never seen before. The shape revolutionizes the game by producing faster flight speed and maintaining the true roundness of the ball.
• The latex made bladder of the Brazuca ball provides the desired rebound.
• The Brazuca is more like the ball selected for the champions league Finale 13 than the Jabulani ball used in last world cup in South Africa.
• The Brazuca ball is indeed the most colourful (white, night blue, multicolour) ever in the FIFA World Cup history.
The ball is more aerodynamic than the Jabulani ball.
Unveiling FIFA World Cup 2014 official ball:
The unveiling ceremony took place on 3 December 2013 in Rio de Janeiro at ParqueLage featured by a 3D light projection. The occasion was arranged by Adidas for revealing the Brazuca ball to everyone in attendance.
Testing the power of Brazuca:
Before its use at the world cup the Brazuca has gone through an extensive testing process. Adidas took over two years for developing the ball. Many teams as well as players had worked hard to ensure the ball’s acceptability. In order to avoid problem and criticism of the ball like Jabulani in the last FIFA World Cup held in South Africa, Brazuca had appeared in the Under-20 World Cup and as disguised with Adidas Cafusa in international friendly matches between Sweden and Argentina in February.